The Castrucci garden is always bursting with tomatoes at this time of year, as I'm sure yours at home is too! We love making our traditional Roasted Tomato Sauce to put to good use for the rest of the year with our favorite pasta recipes.
It's incredibly quick and simple to make but the results are to die for!
- 5 lbs small or medium tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic separated/peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Spread clean whole tomatoes on jelly roll pan in single layer and sprinkle other ingredients over all the tomatoes.
(See image to the lower right).
- Roast in 250-degree oven for 4 hours, then remove and let cool.
- Purée roasted tomatoes in a blender in small batches.
Tomato sauce can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator for up to a week, or use small bags and freeze to store up to 6 months.
Congratulations! You're ready for pasta season!! ;)